Monthly Service Opportunity
K12 Care for Your Community Campaign provides students a monthly opportunity to participate in local Community Service Projects. Students benefit by learning the importance of serving in the community and partnering with local charities. Check out our monthly service opportunities below to learn how to get involved and see the amazing work North Carolina Virtual Academy students are doing.
Update your Twitter and Facebook profile with the Care for Your Community Twibbon!
Please track all community service efforts and hours here:
Share photos of your community service on our school Facebook page:
JUNE – Join the Fight Against Childhood Cancer
Help change the lives of children with cancer, raise awareness, and empower others to help find a cure by partnering—alone or as a group—with Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.
Set Up a Lemonade Stand
Be part of a national movement to fight childhood cancer—one cup at a time! Visit the foundation's website for all the details.
- Choose your location, date and time, and register your Alex’s Lemonade Stand. (We encourage children to participate every step of the way, they will just need an adult to help them register.)
- You can choose to have an event kit mailed to you and you’ll get a personal event coach from Alex’s Lemonade Stand to help answer your questions.
- Take photos of your lemonade stand and share them on your school Facebook page by June 30.
- Be sure to tell us about your efforts by completing the Community Service Survey!
NCVA Community Service Project- Kernersville
6/19 @ 10:30
Do you live in or around the Kernersville area and want to participate in a student community service project?
Stop by the Triad Park as students and families join together in support of Alex's Lemonade Childhood Cancer Awareness.
There will be crafts, games, and of course lemonade.
Register today! We look forward to seeing you there!
Community Service Project- Fayetteville
6/29 @ 3:00 PM
Do you live in or around the Fayetteville area and want to participate in a student community service project?
Stop by the Lake Rim Park as students and families join together in support of Alex's Lemonade Childhood Cancer Awareness.
There will be crafts, games, and complimentary lemonade for all participants.
Register today! We look forward to seeing you there!
MAY – Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive
In May, NCVA students donated
- 38 hours of community service
- Donated 284 food items
- and $176 towards food for children who are hungry.
Fill a bag or box with non-perishable food items. Leave it by your mailbox on Saturday, May 12 for your letter carrier to pick up. Or organize a food drive in your community and deliver food to a local food bank or shelter.
Take photos of your donations at your mailbox or distribution site and share them on your school Facebook Page by May 31.
April- Pinwheels for Prevention®
In April, NCVA students donated:
- 81 hours of community service
- 134 pinwheels
- And $135 towards the awareness and prevention of child abuse!
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and we invite you to show your support for our nation's children by making your own pinwheel display!
Pinwheels are the national symbol of child abuse prevention and a visible reminder of the happy and healthy childhood that all children deserve.
Make or purchase inexpensive pinwheels and create a pinwheel garden in your yard or at a local business (with permission). Or you can make a Pinwheels for Prevention poster to display on your front porch or window, and be sure to include your school's name!
MARCH – Read Across America Book Drive
March Read Across America is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss.
Option 1: Book Donation
- Share your love of reading by donating gently used books to the local library.
Option 2: Volunteer
- Volunteer to read a favorite book at a local library or bookstore story time or to a senior at a local assisted living facility.
Option 3: Little Free Library Project
- Help to encourage literacy and share your love of reading in the local community by creating a neighborhood library: https://littlefreelibrary.org/start/
In the month of March NCVA will participate by sponsoring a Book Drive. Each family is requested to donate at least 1 gently used book to a local library, daycare, nursing home or other local charity in need.
Do you live in or around the Kernersville area and want to participate in a book drive? Stop by the Kernersville Branch Library for a student meet up & book drive. We'd love to see you. All are welcome so bring a friend!
FEBRUARY – Love a Charity
February is a great time to show your favorite charities some love by making an extra contribution or volunteering your time and talent.
Option 1: Spread Love with Valentine’s
- Make and deliver Valentine cards and spread love to those needing it the most.
- Senior Citizens in Assisted Living or Nursing Home Facility
- Patients at the Local Children’s Hospital
- Fire Fighters, Police Officers, or EMT’s in the Local Community
Do you live in or around the Durham area and want to show your community some love? Stop by East Regional Library to make (or sign) a Thank You card for a local hero, a child at Duke’s Children’s Hospital. We'd love to see you. All are welcome so bring a friend!