Enrollment and Attendance FAQs
Can I enroll all my children?
Yes, because NCVA provides all the lesson plans and materials needed, many parents find it easy to enroll multiple children in the program. Sibling preference for enrollment only applies if the new student has a sibling who has been enrolled with NCVA since the prior school year. All siblings cannot be new for the current school year for this preference to apply. If you have twins, triplets, etc. applying to our school, once one of these students is accepted, their twin/triplet is also accepted due to state law.
What does it cost to attend?
Since NCVA is a public school program, there is no tuition. NCVA provides a state-certified teacher and all instructional materials for the program. However, students and families will be responsible for providing some consumable materials (such as printer ink and paper).
How long will my child(ren) be wait listed?
Wait times vary for each grade level. We take in new K–8 students every other week and new 9–12 students at the beginning of each semester. We cannot guarantee that all your students will obtain seats at the same time. Your student may be wait listed for a few weeks to a few months. We recommend having another educational plan in place for your child until a seat is formally offered. Wait list information may be requested by emailing us your name, your student’s name and grade level to email@example.com.
Can I change my start date?
No, if you have accepted a seat offer and been given a start date, your start date cannot be changed. You may decline a seat offer and be placed at the bottom of the waitlist until another seat becomes available.
How do I transfer to NCVA from my current K12 school? Can I transfer out of NCVA to another K12 school?
Submit a Transfer Application using the Parent Portal. Then wait for additional instructions. We cannot guarantee that your student will obtain a seat with NCVA or the new K12 school.
When will NCVA notify my student’s current school of my transfer?
NCVA’s registrar will formally request records and notify your prior school of your enrollment within 3 days of your start date. If additional information is needed, our fax number is (919) 324-6597 and we can be reached at (919) 346-0121.
What is the attendance policy?
North Carolina Virtual Academy works with families toward a positive attendance record to meet their required number of 185 instructional days. The attendance responsibilities are as follows:
- Attendance is logged daily in the Online School by the parent/ Learning Coach.
- Extended family travel, except during normal school vacation periods, requires written notification and vacation approval by the administrator. This should be completed at least one week prior to the extended absence.
- All families must complete a pre-enrollment orientation session and new students will attend the “Introduction to Online Learning” course via the Online School and attend a new student orientation.
- The family must maintain regular communication with their NCVA teachers.
- Students and parents/Learning Coaches must check their e-mail and phone messages daily.
- Students must attend all required ClassConnect sessions for live, online instruction as directed by their teachers.
Can I take a vacation during the school year?
The school calendar includes school "holidays" or vacation time. Whenever possible, family vacations should align with school vacation days. Parents are encouraged to contact their teacher if they plan a vacation that does not coordinate with the school calendar.